Agri-tech and life science have been identified by the Government as of national importance and one of the world’s fastest growing markets. Norfolk’s expertise in, food, plant and health science, combined with an innovative farming community, offers business extraordinary potential to contribute to that growth
Norwich Research Park (NRP) houses a unique cluster of organisations in the vanguard of global food and health research, including food security, healthier and more nutritious food, resilient crops and industrial biotechnology. The Park is home to six leading research organisations employing over 3000 scientists (12,000 staff) at the John Innes Centre, Institute of Food Research, Sainsbury Laboratory, the Genome Analysis Centre and University of East Anglia (UEA). With the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital, Norwich Medical School and School of Pharmacy the Park is perfectly placed for biomedical and clinical studies on health benefits.
The Park provides a laboratory and office accommodation for businesses at all stages in their growth cycle as well as 52 ha of development land for ‘build to suit’. Businesses located on Norwich Research Park not only benefit from high quality accommodation, but can take advantage of a complete range of technical and commercial support packages, as well as gaining facilitated access to the academic and clinical research expertise based within the institutions.
Businesses in the region cover a diverse range of specialisms including:
- agri-tech (Eastern Attachments, Germains)
- food processing technology (Thurne-middleby, a global provider of industrial food processing machines, Frank Dale Foods, the UK’s leading premium party food manufacturer)
- food research (Food Forensics - the first laboratory in the UK to achieve UKAS accreditation focused on combatting food fraud)
- chemicals (Briar Chemicals, Jeyes, Sensient Industrial Colors)
- drug, DNA and diagnostic testing (Anglia DNA, Key Forensic Services Ltd, Iceni Diagnostics, Intelligent Fingerprinting)
- health technology (Baxter Healthcare, Bespak, Procarta Biosystems)
Many of our largest food processing companies – some world-leaders in their fields – employ highly skilled technologists and scientists who work closely with the science base on product development, food preservation and food safety.
Norfolk is a hub for UK Agri-tech. The Norwich - Cambridge Agri-Tech Cluster links the world-class research capability within the two cities with the ideal growing land and food and farming sectors in the neighbouring rural areas.
To get in touch with our business investment specialists call +44 (0)344 800 8020 or email us.
A comprehensive energy offer, with a long history...Find out more
Advanced Manufacturing & Engineering
A diverse advanced manufacturing and engineering capability...Find out more
The largest private sector contribution to Norfolk’s...Find out more
Hosting a vibrant cluster of digital businesses...Find out more